Friday, December 9, 2011

Buckwheat groats and Apples

This is a very hearty breakfast dish, like a hot cereal. I have it with a side of eggs. Great for cold winter mornings!

Buckwheat groats are a nice non-wheat grain alternate (it is actually a fruit).

Here is an article about buckwheat and its benefits:

http://www.healthyreader.com/the-health-benefits-of-buckwheat/


I found them at Whole Foods Market in the bulk section.

This recipe makes 4 servings

1c buckwheat
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
2c water
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz chopped apple (about 2 medium apples)

in a medium nonstick saute pan , heat the coconut oil over med heat, then add the buckwheat groats, cook and stir to roast them to an even brown (chestnut) color, adding the cinnamon when they begin to brown. Once the groats are evenly toasted, add the 2 cups water and the vanilla, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, then stir in apples, cover and cook 2 more minutes (groats should absorb water and become tender but still chewy).

one serving is 7.5oz or a medium packed cup and a loosely packed quarter cup.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good I've been thinking of trying Buckwheat groats I'll try this recipe first.

    I love buckwheat pancakes yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't my favorite all-time breakfast, but it was filling. I think a little stevia or splenda to sweeten it might do the trick. I love buckwheat pancakes, the groats maybe need to go savory instead of sweet, Idk.

    ReplyDelete