Thursday, November 10, 2011

Potato and Egg Breakfast 3 ways

My current breakfast includes the following ingredients:

red potatoes

whole eggs

egg whites

onion or mushrooms

salsa

I have come up with a few different variations to keep it interesting.

First you need to prep the potatoes, onions and mushrooms.

I get a 10lb bag from Costco and roast them all in batches on a shallow baking pan in the oven (350 degress for about 20-30 minutes, should be tender but not mushy), then once they have cooled I put them in large ziploc bags in the fridge so they are ready to be weighed and used in the morning :)

Wash and slice all the mushrooms and put them in plasticware in the fridge (again, its convenient to have all your ingredients ready when needed).

Peel and chop one or two onions and put in plasticware in the fridge.

Now you have all the ingredients on hand to assemble breakfast quickly.

If I know I have morning appointments in the week ahead, I pre-make the all-in-one pan breakfast (as many as I will need) and put it in plasticware ,so all I have to do is reheat it in the morning. if I have the luxury of making breakfast and eating it at home, I make whichever recipe sounds appealing that morning.

Recipe #1 - All In One Pan (easiest and most portable)

Place a large nonstick pan over med heat.

Weigh out the amount of mushrooms ( I use 2oz) or onions (I use 1oz) you will use. then put them in the pan , shaking pan occasionally to keep from sticking/burning.

While the onions cook, measure (I eat 7oz) and slice the potatoes into 1/4" rounds and add to pan. You can add a little creole seasoning or magic salt here if desired (yes, I like salt). Cook and shake occasionally, letting potatoes warm through and get a little browned.

While potatoes cook, mix eggs, egg whites and salsa in a bowl. Pour mixture over potatoes/onions and scramble, until done. if you are prepping ahead, leave them a little undercooked/wet so they dont get rubbery when reheated.

YUM

Recipe #2 Potatoes O'Brien (sort of) and scrambled eggs

Heat 2 medium non stick pans over med heat.

In one pan, place your chopped onion, stirring or shaking occasionally, to start browning.

Measure out and cut potatoes into cubes (sort of, cut in half, then halves into quarters), place in pan with onion. shake and stir occasionally. add magic salt or seasoning of choice.

Mix eggs and egg whites, then pour into second pan, scramble.

Right before eggs are done, add salsa (I use 2 tbsp) to the potatoes and shake or stir to coat and cook a minute.

plate it up and enjoy :)

Recipe #3 Home fries, scrambled eggs with salsa and onion, and eggs sunny side up or over easy (3 pans, my favorite.)

place a small nonstick pan over medium heat, and 2 medium nonstick pans, one over med heat and one over med/high..

In the medium pan over medium heat, place either your mushrooms or onions (I alternate). shake or stir occasionally while prepping egg whites.

Mix egg whites and 2 tbsp salsa in a bowl, then pour over the onion or mushrooms, stirring occasionally to scramble.

Measure and cut potatoes into wedges or slices, place in empty medium pan and add seasoning of choice, creole is yummy. shake occasionally to crisp/brown.

Crack the two whole eggs (or however many you eat) into the small pan. I like them just over easy, yokes very runny, so I can use the potatoes to wipe up the yoke (this is when I miss toast, lol)

Most mornings I make the home fries with salsa for Adam to take with a breakfast style turkey burger I make (I do large batches of these, too), sometime I am running late and I just quarter the potatoes, add seasoning and microwave them with the turkey burger. haven't had any complaints yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment