Sunday, January 9, 2011

Spicy Tomatillo Scramble

At one point I was working my way through the South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook. I like South Beach because the phase one recipes usually fit into pre-comp type diets and there is usually a lot of interesting flavor. I also like that the nutritional info is included.

Here is a great breakfast recipe:

Spicy Tomatillo Scramble

2 1/2 tsp canola oil, divided ( I actually used 1 tsp for cooking the veggies and then just sprayed the pan for the eggs)

1 med tomatillo, papery skin removed, diced 1/4 inch

1/2 small onion, diced

3 large eggs, slightly beaten

2 TBSP salsa of choice ( I used medium cilantro salsa, mmm)

S&P to taste

Heat 1 tsp oil in med skillet over med0high heat. Add tomatillo and onion. Reduce haet to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet.

Spray skillet with non-stick spray (or heat remaining oil): add eggs, reduce heat to low and allow eggs to set, 2 minutes. Sprinkle veggies over eggs , season with S&P, and scramble until just cooked, about 1 minute more. Serve with salsa. (I actually mix the salsa in with the eggs when I beat them, it makes them moister and tastier, IMO).

Makes 2 servings (I eat the whole recipe )

190 calories

13g fat, 3 sat

10g protein

5g carbohydrate

0 fiber

350mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment